Love of my Life

Love of my Life
Happy moments... Praise God. Difficult moments... seek God. Quiet painful moments... Trust God. Every moment... Thank God.















July 15, 2010

Knowing Lindsey

The following story is an excert from an email received from one of the Head for the Cure participants. This person signed up, stated that she is proud to walk in honor of Lindsey, and proceeded to tell me how she knows Lindsey. While I've left the names out of the story, I sincerely hope the individual is okay with me sharing. This story made my day. It was the good that I found in the day and it made me very proud. I particularly enjoyed the smile I saw from
Lindsey when I shared the message with her.

I wanted to share with you how I know Lindsey. I first met Lindsey about three years ago when she was a camp counselor for my son at Camp Summit. The following year, she was his camp counselor again. I loved that Lindsey was there to look out for my son. He has ADHD, which can sometimes bring a few challenges. Lindsey was always so patient with him. At the end of the day, I looked forward to talking with her and getting an update on his behavior for the day. She was always so positive and even on those days when he may have been a little challenging, she was optimistic and never made it out to be so bad.

I have continued through the years to periodically see Lindsey at HyVee. She always remembered my son by name and greeted me with a smile and a "Hi, Mrs. XXX." I was very saddened in late February/early March to see the flyer posted at HyVee about the fundraiser being held for Lindsey.

I should also mention that I work at the University of Central Missouri and was pleasantly surprised about a year ago to see Lindsey one day on campus at a guest lecture about head injuries. We talked for a bit and she shared with me that she had overcame a brain tumor at age 13. She shared some of the struggles that she had in working towards a college degree, but stated her determination to make it through. I was thrilled and so proud to see Lindsey walk across the stage at our May Commencement to receive her college diploma. A few weeks later I saw Lindsey at Hyvee passing out sales ads to customers. I approached her and gave her a big hug. We talked for a few minutes.

I just want you to know how deeply Lindsey has touched my heart. When I think of Lindsey, I think of a beautiful young woman who is incredibly strong, who is kind and friendly, and who wears a bright smile. I wanted you to know how special Lindsey is to us and that we pray for her and for your family in this very difficult time. Again, I am proud to walk in honor of Lindsey on August 29 and look forward to meeting you both.

Regarding Lindsey... tonight Todd treated Lindsey to an outing to downtown Pleasant Hill to try out the new ice cream shop - Moore's Ice Cream. We loved the simplicity of the store which is reflective of the simplicity of the city. No frills. Just good ice cream, great people, friends laughing, a couple and their new baby enjoying a evening out. It appeared that it's a family run shop as Mom and Dad, and 3-4 siblings (all below the age of 10 I believe) all had matching "Moore" Ice Cream shirts on. The littlest one was sound asleep in the stroller. Todd with his Banana Shake, Lindsey with her Extreme Butterscotch... me sitting in between listening to the slurps. The evening was almost perfect. Perfect would be Bob and Hannah with us, and Lindsey in good health. While we continue to pray for healing, the presence of God's grace is felt daily. Through friends, through family, and the blessing of a simple night out with those that we love.

Thank you for your continued prayers, cards, and support. It does make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment